The warmer weather and the smell of freshly cut grass and flowers blooming means spending time in the garden becomes more appealing in spring. But more time outdoors brings pets into contact with sharp tools and toxic materials.
All gardening tools should be returned to the shed or garage once they have finished being used, so that a pet doesn’t accidentally injure itself on their sharp points and edges.
Many chemicals such as fertilisers, herbicides, insecticides and slug and snail pellets (metaldehyde) are very harmful to pets if accidentally consumed, and therefore should be used very carefully.
Owners should adhere to the recommended waiting period before letting their pet back into the garden after using gardening products.
Flowers and plants can be poisonous too. Rhododendron, azaleas, lilies, daffodils and spring bulbs are among those flowers which are most toxic to pets and should be avoided where possible.